OK, a few more thoughts on my trip to Miami…
- In general, Miami drivers suck. They are rude, cut in front of you and then drive and turn slowly! It actually makes me appreciate Houston drivers – scary, isn’t it?
- Related to this, don’t ask for directions. They won’t know either. LOL.
- Cuban food is good! I had arroz con pollo (homemade by Petra), palomilla steak, pastelitos de carne and empanadas, and my favorite Cuban sandwich, a medianoche. All gulped down with yummy Materva! Oh, and don’t forget the cafe cubano (essentially pre-sweetened espresso).
- Damn, it was hot and muggy. I think it felt worse than Houston because most places don’t have A/C systems as good as here (in Houston).
- Cuban people are *loud*. We don’t shout but the volume of our voices gets louder and louder as we try to get a word in edgewise.
- Laughter is good. Cracking up over dinner with family is better, especially if you laugh loud enough to scare the tables around you.
- Old age can affect people so many different ways. I am scared of how it will affect me because it seems that there is no way to control it.
- Pouring over old family photographs late at night is a great way to learn more about your history and get the stories behind it.
For more stories, just ask me next time you see me… I’ll even break out the photos.