We leave for Paris in less than a week and I’m getting ready – I’ve got a great expansion card for my Palm that I got for free through a special offer… I have a couple of books including one that came with ability to download it into my Palm as well and of course the book on Paris from my favorite travel series. I also have the Popout map series that I love to use when we travel. Plus we have The Unofficial Guide to Paris and a nifty Mapguide that partitions the city into maps that fold out with the most interesting sites listed.
Kenny also bought me a 1 GB compact flash card for my camera (he found one on sale with a rebate so it was super-cheap at under $50) . With that and the 512 MB card I already have, I should have plenty of room to get some good resolution shots. We are taking the laptop so I’ll be able to download them too. Kenny bought the converters we needed and we are set in the wardrobe department with some new light sweaters and some new scarves to keep us warm (it won’t snow but the forecast is rainy with a low in the mid 30’s F and a high in the mid 40’s F).
I am happy to report as well that my renewed passport arrived in the mail and my name is correct. Turnaround was quick too – it seems like it only took a month or so.
So, just for the sake of things, I thought I’d post my current things-to-do list:
- Meet Soluna and her boyfriend in person. We are still making plans but I really look forward to it! Her boyfriend couldn’t join us but we met up with Solene the afternoon before we left! We had a wonderful time!
- Go up the Eiffel Tower (I’ve been to see it, even had a picnic underneath it but I was a poor college student and too cheap to pay to go up). We made it up the very last evening we were in Paris and damn was it cold!!
- Find the infamous stairs in Montmartre. Did this 12/25!
- Check out the Buddha Bar (there is a great CD collection based on music played at this place so we thought we’d check it out in person). We never went because a) we ran out of energy and b) we couldn’t afford to really go out and drink $12 cocktails…
- Go up to see Sacre Coeur. Did this 12/25!
- Buy a cheap Eiffel Tower figurine, bring back a Christmas ornament for our tree and buy a print/sketch in Montmartre or Montparnasse for our travel-themed guest bedroom. Got all three of these things!
- Go to Le Grand Colbert for Christmas lunch – this was also the restaurant where Diane Keaton, Jack Nicholsan and Keanu Reeves dine at the end of Something’s Gotta Give. Mission accomplished.
- Consider going to Midnight Mass. We didn’t go to midnight mass per se but we did watch part of the service Christmas Eve at Notre Dame.
- Although I’ve been once before, I’d like to revisit Le Centre Pompidou since I am a fan of modern art and the exhibits constantly change here. Did this 12/26!
I’m skimming the guidebooks to see what else sounds interesting. We may or may not do all of the above but it’s the basics. Just a few more days away! Yay!
Updated 12/26: We tried to go the Catacombs as many of you suggested but they are closed till May 2005 for renovations. Oh well. We’ll go next time!